[Sigia-l] Re: IA and semiotics - and standards?

kjnarey asow73 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 15 15:37:10 EDT 2004

>Study after study shows that 99% of the usage of microwave ovens is
warming leftovers or popping popcorn, not the various elaborate
cooking gyrations you theoretically can do.  So I think the ideal UI
for a microwave is a dial for the duration of cooking, a dial for
cooking intensity, and a button that says "Popcorn".

Dave Collins wrote
>You know, this makes me wonder if the focus of our ignorance
>(consumers/developers whatever) is misunderstood.

>I'm sure that much thought went into what features users might want on
>these microwaves. And I'm sure much though went into how to teach users
>to use these features easily.

Interesting thoughts. I often wonder what the real difference is between
'shower gel' and 'shampoo'. Ultimately they do the same thing (as our bodies
are covered in hair anyway), but are marketed as having separate 'uses'. I
know people who buy shampoo and wash in it as an all over soap and I guess
they feel like they are getting a bargain as it has multiple 'uses'.

Perhaps I should be warming my mug of milk in a popcorn bag - great value
for money.

//Kevin