[Sigia-l] Usability Profession Increasingly Under Scrutiny?

Ruth Kaufman ruth at ruthkaufman.com
Mon Jan 12 18:00:07 EST 2004

On Monday, January 12, 2004, at 01:44 PM, Jon Nakasone wrote:
>  Our work is based on research,
> analysis and data. how can similar data help to validate our
> profession?

Where I work (large IT organization), we measure our success (i.e., the
success of the ".com" part of the business) by customer goal
attainment. We collect the data through surveys on the site. I'm not
familiar with the actual sampling practices. Since we sell stuff,
develop leads, and retain customers through our web site, it's no
secret to our executives that usability impacts the bottom line. But
you've got to fund the research, and small companies often cut those
corners. If you're not collecting that kind of data, then you can't
show the results.

HTH,
Ruth