[Sigia-l] Usability Profession Increasingly Under Scrutiny?

Peter Merholz peterme at peterme.com
Thu Jan 15 10:57:47 EST 2004

Jon--

It frustrates me that no one bothered to really address your question,
and instead banged on the same limp drums that they always bang on.

Your question is a good one, and a hard one -- it's difficult to
measure the impact of any one element on a process. What I find
interesting is that other departments are rarely required to "prove"
their value in such a concrete way... There's something about the UCD
methodology that suggests we ought to have more clearly delineated
concrete outcomes.

Anyway, at BayCHI in December, there was a panel on this very topic,
moderated by Rashmi Sinha. The panelists included people from Ebay,
Yahoo!, and Adaptive Path. Here are the notes from that talk, and I
hope you find it helpful:

--peter