[Sigia-l] landing page vs. no landing page

Hilary Marsh hilary at contentcompany.biz
Tue Dec 14 15:01:24 EST 2004

I hope it's okay that I ask a pedantic question. I'm not an IA, but
sometimes on small projects do IA work in addition to my usual
content strategy and management services.

I'm working on the website for a nonprofit organization. The
organization's current site uses rollovers, so the user sees the
top-level nav categories but can only go to the second-level content.
(I.e., the top-level category is "areas of interest" and when you
mouse over that, you see the areas -- arts, environment, etc. --
"areas" is not a link but the things under it are.)

One category -- "about us," of course -- has a page labeled
"introduction," which is effectively the landing page for that
section. It's the only section that has such a page. (And why is
"about us" always the problem-child section, anyway? I've encountered
this on almost every site I've worked on.)

I usually try to make navigation consistent, in that sections either
have landing pages -- which often requires writing static fluff
content that no one reads or cares about -- or not have them -- which
results in the occasional "introduction" page.

How do you all feel about this? I look forward to your input.

Many thanks,

Hilary

--
Hilary Marsh
president, content company inc

Monthly newsletter with tips and tricks for keeping your website
fresh, relevant and strategic -- subscribe at
http://www.contentcompany.biz/subscribe.html.

Join CM Professionals, the first international content management
community of practice: http://www.cmprofessionals.org.