[Sigia-l] customization & personalization vs. session lenght & return visits

Livia Labate liv at livlab.com
Wed Aug 4 19:56:06 EDT 2004

> (Because I had this specific conversation with a client recently), "time
> spent at the site" can mean different things to different departments. For
> example, taking an article and breaking it up into 3 pages will likely
> increase time spent at the site, which may mean better stats to show
> prospective partners, advertisers and clients, as well as increased
exposure
> opportunities for promotions, other site venues, related content, etc. You
> could give each user a customization option for the proverbial "printer
> friendly" 1-page version" but your marketing guys might object!:-)

I totally agree. I am actually given the opportunity not to sacrifice the
experience for those purposes, so my question about increasing average
sessions length is linked to exploring/finding new content - getting the
user hooked on the content (which IS relevant to them, not just
time-wasters) and engage them in a fun/useful experience so they can keep
finding more. Also, the content is varied: news articles, entertainment
videos, music highlits, etc... so I am not narrowing it down to any
specifics here.

Cheers,

Livia Labate
liv at livlab.com > http://livlab.com < http://aifia.org