[Sigia-l] Corporate and personal blogs are indeed public

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 18:29:13 EST 2003

> I just don't get this urge to *publicly* comment on one's job and
> employer. What's the point?

I think the urge to do this publicly is natural considering how
one's job, at least in western culture, is one of the main ways that
people define themselves.

  Q: "So what do you do?"
  A: "I'm an information architect," and not "I live with three
      cats, eat sushi for breakfast, and like to make candles that
      smell like dead skunks."

If work is central to constructing an identity in our culture and
if blogging is a way of constructing an online identity, then I'm
not surprised that people will blog about their work.

But it's also understandable that blogging about work seems weird.
Maybe you think it boring. Or perhaps you consider it private and
confidential, like blogging about your sex life. But people blog
about that too, which is something *I* don't understand.

--karl