[Sigia-l] Charlotte IA/UX Cocktail Hour

Samantha Bailey a2slb at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 16 15:55:19 EST 2003

Location:  SouthEnd Brewery 2100 South Blvd., Charlotte, NC
When:  Tuesday, November 18, 7:00pm
Phone:  704.715.3759

Is Navigation Useful? The question may raise the hackles of dedicated
information architects, because classification is our bread & butter and
navigation & classification go hand-in-hand on the web.

That said, we've all done usability tests that have made us doubt the
efficacy of some of our efforts, whether it is our approaches to global
navigation (tabs?) local navigation (left hand? right hand? floating???),
contextual navigation (bread crumbs? site maps?). So let's talk about
navigation--is it inextricably tied to classification or can classification
break free of the bonds of navigation? And last, but not least: Is Jakob
Nielsen right...or wrong?
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000109.html

This month we meet on Tuesday, Nov. 18 7-9 at SouthEnd Brewery. Next month's
meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, December 10--we'll decide at this
meeting if we think we'll have enough of a turnout to justify a Dec meeting
or if we should skip it and meet up again in 2004.

Please pass this message along to anyone you know in the area who is
interested in and/or practicing information architecture, interaction design
or user-centered web design.

SouthEnd Brewery (704) 358-4677
http://www.southendbrewery.com/

Samantha Bailey