[Sigia-l] locations of synonym terms in hierarchical taxonomies?

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Sun Nov 16 21:28:54 EST 2003

If I have a taxonomy of some subject, and certain terms have various
synonyms, I can represent those synonym relationships with the SYN
relationship (and express preferred terms with USE/USEFOR relationships).

My question is ... do those synonyms need to exist in the same place in the
hierarchy? They are, after all, *synonyms* for the same *thing*, and that
*thing* exists within that hierarchy in one place.

Does anyone have any example taxonomy hierarchies where synonym terms might
appear in different hierarchical places?

e.