[Sigia-l] JOB: Senior Interaction Designer

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Jun 18 19:56:54 EDT 2003

"cheryl at rcn.com" wrote:

> in addition, isn't a job description and wish list?

Not if you want to actually hire somebody.

Here's my iron rule for an (ideal:-) job description:

1)  Two-paragraph description.

2)  Five bullet items total, for any combination of experience, skills, etc.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If you go beyond that, to me, it means the employer hasn't really thought
through the position and is most likely committing the cardinal sin: hiring
someone for a specific project and not a long-term asset to the company. Job
reqs pile up often when the position is too well-defined, which should make
the position less than desirable.

Hiring someone for the immediate and specific needs of a project is
shortsighted (what happens when that project is over and new projects
require different skills/experience?) and dishonest (what happens to the new
hire when the project is over and his skills are less than a good match for
new projects?).

Ziya
Nullius in Verba