[Sigia-l] The new JJG diagram

Gene Smith genesmith at atomiq.org
Thu Jul 10 17:07:34 EDT 2003

Peterme said:

 > My one quibble (and Jesse's heard this already): Project Management
and User
 > Research should underscore all the other pillars.

Hmmm.  I see user research having strategic and tactical dimensions,
just like technology and content.   But I'm not sure it should be an
ur-pillar--does it affect technology strategy more than, say, cost,
business goals, or the CIO's pet technology?  I can see decisions about
content and site strategy being influenced by user research without
being underpinned by them.  Also, user research (I'm thinking
specifically of usability testing) should be on the tactical side of the
diagram, since that's how it's chiefly used these days.

I agree with the central placement of abstract design, but it almost
seems like user research should be there too, since it impacts many of
the other competencies (to a greater of lesser degree, depending on the
compentency).

As always, these diagrams are great food for thought.

Gene