[Sigia-l] Google vs. Knowledge Management

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Jan 31 13:25:47 EST 2003

"Nuno Lopes" wrote:

> Whether Google type searching will eventually surpass the need of
> specialized (subject based) semantic nets is mere speculation at the
> moment IMO.

As is the notion that handcrafted categorization can possibly scale.

>> Nail. Hammer. Direct hit --> This is the ultimate objective: end the
>> tyranny of rigid categorization by the end user.
>
> I believe that people have a short memory on history.

Yep, and some people just live in it.

> Sometimes people forget that information exist to be shared...

So information has an innate ability to want to be shared?

> I'm happy that my fundamental patterns of thought were not
> provided by the Web, but from schools and libraries that were more
> resilient to fashion.

Since the Net is here to stay and the vast majority of people (at least in
developed countries) are exposed to it, you reckon the future of
civilization is doomed?

> Google stimulates fashion.

So have books, pamphlets, TV, songs, movies, etc. You think we should just
ban all 'popular' media?

> Deep knowledgeable articles are almost never found through a Google search
> IMO.

Wow. This warrants repeating.

> Deep knowledgeable articles are almost never found through a Google search
> IMO.

And may be another time, just to be sure it's indexed by Google for
posterity. :-)

> Deep knowledgeable articles are almost never found through a Google search
> IMO.

Why is Google so threatening to some people?

Best,