[Sigia-l] NYC-CHI 29 Jan, 6-8PM: Antenna Design Case Studies/NYC Subway Vending Machines

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Jan 7 17:57:03 EST 2003

"lee.r.sachs at verizon.com" wrote:

> and i get just as aggravated with MS Word as you do,

Well, shall we say I left MS Word behind in the 80s. :-)

> but i also appreciate (begrudgingly, rarely) those things it does do that are
> impossible w/pen & paper.

Yep, that's called 'lowering the bar.'

> also, MSFT is a software designer/developer.  the MTA's job is to
> move people around the city, not create user interfaces.

If you go into the caverns of the NYC subways as an out-of-towner, you'd
strongly disagree with that notion. How can you move people around without
an 'interface' to your system?

> if they create a positive user experience, then all the better.

Man, you really lower the bar. Why do we not demand a "positive user
experience" as a base line? I don't expect them to attain it in my lifetime
but why not set it as a benchmark? When you go into Prada you expect to get
a "positive user experience" (hopefully, you'll get it :-) what's wrong with
expecting the same with the subways, given the billions it sucks up? Why
does it have to be an extra, an afterthought?

Best,