[Sigia-l] Technologies an IA must know [was: Programming IAs]

Todd R.Warfel lists at messagefirst.com
Fri Apr 25 12:54:49 EDT 2003

Excellent points, David. I'd agree with the first one being
"technologies" an IA must know. The second one, while very valuable
might not be necessary, but I do see the high value in it.

Case in point, Genevieve Bell, a very well known ethnographer with
Intel, intentionally stays away from a great deal of technology (albeit
a cell phone, notebook, and simple digital camera). All of her notes
and records are transcribed on paper while doing ethnographic research.
She's doing some incredibly groundbreaking work in domestic
technologies. Yes, her work does and will directly reflect very
high-tech devices and systems, but she herself is not a gadget person.

In general, I would agree with you below. IMHO what's more important
than #2 is the ability of the IA to extract those types of processes
and organizations from the target audience who will be using the
product. These results are more reliable than simply using the IA's
intuition, or gut feeling.

Now, should we discuss methods as well, or leave it at technologies?

On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 12:23 PM, David Heller wrote:

> 1. Know HTML backwards and forwards + CSS + be able to do basic
> JavaScript and understand the DOM (and know what DOM is w/o being
> told).
>
> 2. Have an online bank acct, do all their travel & book purchases
> online
> regularly, and read a newspaper online as well. (and have a heuristic
> opinion of it)

Cheers!

Todd R. Warfel

_//message first [method second]