[Sigia-l] Programming IAs was: Little things an IA MUST know/do

Mark Burgess markb at pbdh.com
Thu Apr 24 20:47:42 EDT 2003

>Programmers generally don't make good designers. Designers generally
>don't make good programmers. They have two very different mind sets.
>Again, there are exceptions to this, but those are extremely rare.

To a certain extent, I'd agree with that. Folks who are happiest
doing programming won't be as happy making pretty pictures, and
vice-versa. It really depends on what sort of design you're talking
about though. Original, conceptual, beautiful Communication Arts
-type stuff is less suited to a programming mindset than the more
analytical design tasks that need to get done in UI work. The
top-notch print designers I know aren't particularly good at making
usable Web sites (they are good at beautifying them, but not
architecting them).

But the question is not "Can a designer make a good programmer?" --
it is, "Can some programming experience make a designer better at
designing?" To that question I'd have to say yes. If the designer is
involved in creating software, they should be able to at least
understand what it is they're making an interface for. They should be
able to talk comfortably with their programmers. They must be able to
see the project as a computer program, not just an abstract
user-interface problem.

It's not only programming that can improve the design, either. Sales
experience, help-desk experience, etc. can contribute to better work
too. Even leisure activities can inform design in unexpected though
relevant ways. And of course spending time doing the tasks that the
end-user will be using the software for (payroll, database
maintenance, whatever) can't do anything but help the design.

The inverse is true too, of course. Programmers can make better
programs if they have some experience designing with the user in
mind. Even if a programmer's work is well away from the program's
front end,  their code can be more readable, easier to maintain, etc.
if it's occasionally looked at as a design problem.

--
Mark