[Sigia-l] "Print This"

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Sep 23 17:25:14 EDT 2002

"Bell, John" wrote:

> We have created printer-friendly versions of screens without all of the
> navigational elements. In some cases, we have had the text-only version
> display in a daughter window with a "Close Window" and "Print This Page" links
> but with the browser toolbar minimized. The "Print" link will not work
> reliably on a Mac. The alternative seems to be to have the text-only version
> appear in the main window and rely on the user to use the browser's "print"
> and "back" commands.

Well CSS 2 is your friend here.

You can define various stylesheets for display, print, audio, braille, etc.
They won't affect the normal display, but when printing, the relevant
stylesheet will be automatically loaded. Like so:

<LINK rel="stylesheet" type"text/css" href="my_PrintFormat.css"
media="print">

There are variations on this and one or two platform/browser specific
tweaks. Here's some more info:

<http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/articles/webrev/200001.html>

Best,