[Sigia-l] seeking rules

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 00:24:02 EDT 2002

"Victor Lombardi" wrote:

> I'd like to make a little plea for the novice
> designers who actually benefit from these sorts of
> rules. I recently did some consulting for a large
> company whose designers didn't know, for example, the
> difference between the web, the web browser, and the
> Internet.

The question is were they supposed to? Were they hired as web designers? Is
that how they make a living? If so, the problem is deeper than rule
adherence.

> When it comes to not knowing much at all, or
> having some rules to fall back on, those rules look
> pretty good.

This sounds sensible at first. But then the question becomes: should novice
designers be put in a position to make critical choices on their own on
anything but the smallest projects? Shouldn't somebody higher up have the
experience to render such judgments or at least act as the safety net?

If we don't actively encourage mediocrity, for example, why do it with
adherence to silly 'rules'?

Best,