[Sigia-l] re: unemployed?

David Heller hippiefunk at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 5 17:40:27 EDT 2002

IA will not find legitimacy as a Usability advocate. Ziya is totally
right.
There are too many other non-IA groups who are just as cognizant and
more legitimized than an IA is.

What do IAs offer? Just plain put, better products and usability is just
one measureable component of what our expertise can offer. The best
cases that show what we can do are the online shopping examples where
redesign with an eye toward IA have actually improved checkout
performance.

What IA theories were applied? How did we work with other team members?
The ED group is working on selling themselves through case study
creation, where are the IA case studies? Do they speak to business
people?

I also (soap box) have said time and again, trying to fill positions
that already exist by claiming the big IA position is just not working.
Hone in your specialty ... This might mean there is less need for IAs,
and for those like myself who had previously taken the big IA role, it
is time to find a new title that works within the organization already.

-- dave