[Sigia-l] The New Nielsen?

Paula Thornton paula.thornton at prodigy.net
Tue Jul 16 09:14:14 EDT 2002

Apologies for raising an old subject (I've been negligent in my readings). I
read with interest all of the posts...and then I read the article. I was
confused. The largest issue was not raised at all...the opening line:
"increase their enjoyment and encourage them to explore websites in-depth"

Hogwash! Find the evidence. The value equation of the Web as a channel is
not for entertainment or exploration. The value equation is in 'finding' and
'doing'. Our eyes should never stray from that being the primary goal of
accomplishment for design. Everything else is 'eye candy'. What evidence is
there that anyone wants to spend "as much time as possible" on the phone
wandering through phone menus. The same analogy applies to the web. While
there is opportunity to combine various forms of media, this is not
television. Know your medium...

People aren't focused on being 'entertained'...they want to avoid being
'pissed off'. Our goal is to deliver the value they 'seek'. If they're not
seeking entertainment (and yes, there are exceptions for sites that are
purely focused in this area, but I argue that few of them are either
economically or financially justifiable), then we need to keep our efforts
focused appropriately. I'm not suggesting 'being ugly', I'm suggesting
justifying visual design in its contribution to the main goals...not for
'entertainment' sake.

Along these lines I find it 'amusing' when I see things like the 'classic'
deliverables being 'advertised' in job requests: Sample wireframes and site
map

Monkeys can deliver wireframes and site maps (yes, I realize I'm
exaggerating...no need to point it out...but this is an extreme issue to
make clear). What is really needed is to assess whether or not the
individual knows how to identify the key "finding" and "doing" activities
and how they recommended supporting them.

The field is evolving. Hone your skills.