[Sigia-l] certifications

Whitney Quesenbery wq2 at sufficiently.com
Thu Dec 5 12:06:40 EST 2002

I dread leaping into this discussion, but I think that one of the reasons
why certification comes up is because the definitions are so fluid these days.

I may not ask for a specific certification, but if someone tells me that
they studied or worked with a person or company I know, it gives me some
additional context. As many have said, I would never rely on it, but it can
be part of an overall portfolio and a starting point for a discussion.

Another comment is that I see large companies and government agencies most
interested in certifications. They get a large volume of resumes and it
becomes a way of sorting them out a little bit.

I had one experience working with the HR department of a client when we
needed (finally) to hire some people. This was an area where they had no
experience, and one of the things they asked me to do was read some resumes
with them and show them what things I was seeing that made the resume more
or less interesting. One of their problems is that resumes sometimes arrive
with no particular job indicated, and they need to figure out how to sort
them. They also sometimes culled through resumes in a related area when
trying to fill a job.

As part of a project co-sponsored by the UPA earlier this year, I did an
analysis on a rather large survey around opinions and attitudes on
certification. I think it is as applicable to IAs as to usability
professionals, and a reasonably large number of people who identified
themselves as IAs participated:
http://www.upcertification.org/files/upsurvey-qual-analysis-v5.pdf

Whitney Quesenbery
Whitney Interactive Design, LLC
w. www.WQusability.com
e. whitneyq at wqusability.com
p. 908-638-5467

Upcoming Presentations:
Using Personas in the Development Process
January 15, STC Tele-seminar  http://www.stc.org/seminars.asp

UPA 2003 - June 23-27, Scottdale, AZ
Submissions deadline: December 9 (extended)
http://www.upassoc.org/conf2003/

UPA: www.upassoc.org
STC Usability SIG: www.stcsig.org/usability