[Sigia-l] Search engine marketing

Stephanie Heacox s.heacox at verizon.net
Wed Dec 4 16:47:42 EST 2002

A client of mine is looking for a search engine marketing service - like
everyone else, he wants to boost his placement in search retrieval lists.
While I understand the issues involved, I don't make a habit of tracking
search engine requirements on a micro level anymore, and since this is a
moving target, I suspect that it would not be cost effective for me to even
attempt to provide this service to him on an ongoing basis.

So, two questions:  (1)  Do you provide this service as part of your own IA
practice (and how manageable do you find that) or (2) can you give me any
recommendations (based on actual experience) for specialized search engine
marketing services.  Perhaps also (3) Do you think the concept even works as
a service, or is the only way to get decent placement to pay the search
engine provider?

Thanks for your input.  If there are many responses, I will try to do a
summary for the list...

Stephanie Heacox
Director of Information Architecture
Orbis2 Partners, LLC