[Sigia-l] Calendar Control and date/time input

Heller, David david.heller at documentum.com
Fri Apr 12 18:55:58 EDT 2002

Ok, to break down the problem.

Want to avoid formatting errors among different international groups. While
validation is possible, avoiding formatting problems in the first place is a
nusance.

Giving visual clues to the user so they know the context of a date w/ other
calendar elements: day of week, week in month, etc.

Keep validation on the server side to a minimum to speed up response time.

As for the time issue. The problem is validation as well, but less of a
problem b/c the format types are limited to fewer possibilities and are more
standard.

I think Ziya's point about the slowness of DHTML systems is good to point
out. The Expedia example that is in my mind I am often frustrated with b/c
it is calculating the calendar after I click for it and thus doesn't give me
the instant reaction that I crave from this tool.

Does that help? Add more to the conversation? Etc?

-- dave

David Heller
Sr. UI Designer - User Experience Group
Docuemtum, Inc. (Pleasanton #6025)
1-925-600-5636
http://www.documentum.com/
david.heller at documentum.com
AIM: bolinhanyc // Yahoo: dave_ux //MSN: hippiefunk

-- "If it is not useful, it will never be usable."