[Sigia-l] Concepts and Categories [longish] was mixing apples and oranges and tomatoes

Adam Korman Adam at cooper.com
Fri Apr 12 19:22:07 EDT 2002

I tend to agree with Ward...

The paper reads:
> This finding suggests that a high level of redundancy
> makes it very difficult for users to learn to differentiate
> one category from another

I don't think the evidence/statistics necessarily support this conclusion.
The presence of a correlation does not establish causality. I would suggest
that the redundancy in their hierarchy was, in part, a result of the
confusing categories, not the other way around.

That doesn't mean that having clear categories will eliminate the need for
redundancy. I imagine that what you are trying to do is help people find
items, not create narrow abstract definitions of those items. People
identify things by their many attributes, so it makes sense to make things
findable via any of those attributes (i.e., categories).

Cheers, Adam
Adam Korman
Senior Design Consultant
Cooper - humanizing technology