[Sigia-l] IA myths: conceptual model of navigation - was: mixing applesand oranges and tomatoes

Jesse James Garrett jjg at jjg.net
Fri Apr 12 13:01:35 EDT 2002

At 12:43 PM -0400 4/12/02, Anne Hjortshoj wrote:
>This discussion seems to point to page layout (interface design)
>becoming ever-more-important in the practice of IA (since presenting the
>user with the conceptual model of navigation may be less important than how
>it's presented).

I see these as questions of navigation design, which I agree doesn't
get enough attention in IA discussions. You can't just sweep
navigation under the rug of interface and pretend that solves your
problems.

>I know that the core definition of IA leaves this out, and I'm fine with
>that. But I'm not sure it's something that a practicing IA can safely
>ignore.

Information architects do more than information architecture. It has
always been thus, and always thus it shall be.