[Sigdl-l] Book cradle & automatic scanning of rare books

Jody DeRidder jody at jodyderidder.com
Thu Aug 7 14:14:16 EDT 2008

We are also considering purchasing equipment for the automatic scanning of
books, particularly rare books.  I note that some of the cradles only open
the book to 60 degrees now, and the scanners claim to be safe with fragile
materials.  I would be extremely grateful for feedback from folks who have
worked with such scanners.

If you have:  what has been your experience?  (pros and cons)
What type of equipment did you choose, and how well has that worked out?
I would like some basis for comparison of the tools available, as well as
an ability to assess the safety of the materials.  If the process will
damage our content, then there's no point in going down this road yet.

Thank you!

Jody DeRidder
Digital Services
University of Alabama Libraries