[Sigdl-l] microfilm scanning & capture

Jody DeRidder jody at jodyderidder.com
Thu Aug 7 14:13:13 EDT 2008

Hi --
   Are you digitizing images from microfilm?  Either for online delivery
or for preservation purposes?  If so, I'd like to know what equipment
you are using and how well it works for you (pros and cons both!)

   We just tested the ScanPro 1000 with some rather old microfilm on which
some oversized material was digitized.  We were unable to capture an
entire page due to limitations in the viewing window.  The automatic
features were not very helpful;  and when zooming, we (of course! It's
optical!) lost the contrast, focus, etcetera.  Since we needed to zoom
in to make appropriate settings, then zoom out to capture as much of a
page as possible, this obviously won't work.  It appears we need
digital, not optical viewers.

  Has anyone else worked with microfilm scanning & capture?  We would
appreciate the opportunity to learn from your experience.  Thank you!

Jody DeRidder
Digital Services
University of Alabama Libraries
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487