[Sigdl-l] SIG DL program questions

Suzie Allard slalla0 at pop.uky.edu
Thu Feb 6 11:17:48 EST 2003

Hi Tom -
Luz Quiroga, Deborah Barreau, and I have submitted a panel session entitled
"Digital Libraries in Action: The Latin American and Caribbean Experience."
Luz put together a terrific group of speakers representing projects in
Brazil, Chile,  Columbia, and Mexico. Projects range from ETDs, to health
and science information.  All projects are national and/or international
collaborations. The abstract is below.

Suzie

"Digital Libraries in Action: The Latin American and Caribbean Experience"
Abstract:
Knowledge acquisition and dissemination can facilitate innovation and
provide the engine for economic growth and development.  Creating and
sharing knowledge can be hindered when multiple languages are spoken in
geographically diverse regions that are bound together by cultural
proximity.    Digital libraries help provide the information infrastructure
and technology to overcome these challenges and facilitate knowledge sharing
by encouraging collaboration and providing information access.

This interactive panel session features experts who are working on the
frontlines building and implementing programs that utilize DLs to meet these
goals in Latin America and the Caribbean.   These projects address technical
issues related to cross-lingual access, interoperability, and usability as
well as organizational issues related to sharing and integrating research
and development streams.