[sigCR] fun fact for the day about SIG CR

Kathryn La Barre klabarre at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 30 10:20:04 EDT 2012

So good to hear from you Jane! I'm currently the Secretary for SIG/CR. Our
membership numbers are critically low, and I've been working with a
nominating committee to set an election for Chair and Chair-elect (we don't
have one right now!) prior to the annual meeting. Joe Tennis and I are
crafting a workshop proposal and plan to submit it today.

I'll continue with the fun facts as we prepare for the annual meeting.

Did you know that in 1974, the former chair of SIG/CR decided to change the
name of the SIG? Simon Newman drafted a proposal that included the
following rationale:

 “While the SIG is interested in research in classification, it is also
interested in and comprehends the technology of classification, both
applied and theoretical..  . . The title ‘Classification Research’ is to
narrow – and the following are offered as possible alternatives:

Classification

Classification Technology

Classification Research and Development
This wasn't the last time changing the name of the SIG was suggested!

Have a great Monday, more later!

Kathryn