[Sigah-l] RE: [Sigcrit-l] SIG-AH collaborations

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.org
Sat Feb 21 13:34:10 EST 2004

I'm not a member of ASIST, so I'm disqualified from voting on
anything.  But I want to point out that "critical theory" was in the
original description of SIG/AH, and I cut it out when rewriting the mission
statement.  I think the mission statement is perfect as is.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, do we all mean the same thing by
"critical theory"?  I understand the term to refer to the Frankfurt School,
and secondarily to other developments in cultural theory over the past
three-four decades.  I cut 'critical theory' out of the mission statement
because I thought it was too narrow and partisan a declaration for that
purpose.  Critical theory as I understand it--about which I know a great
deal, BTW--is one legitimate approach to theoretical and social criticism
viz. information issues, but I think it is unwise to canonize one family of
theoretical approaches in the mission statement.

I never heard of SIG-CRIT until now.  This must be a newer SIG.  Can anyone
tell us what it has done?

As SIG/AH chair, I pursued a number of collaborations in my conference
programs: with CR, III, BSS, perhaps others I can no longer remember (FIS
perhaps?).

I should also point out that there were a number of interesting conference
sessions I discovered at the meetings themselves, without having the chance
to get in on a collaborative effort.  I'll have to resurrect my old
programs, but there were a few great sessions of philosophical import.  I
recall one in particular that occurred on the final afternoon time slot of
the meeting, when everyone had pretty much gone home.  My guess is this
scheduling was not accidental.

As for critiques, my impression as a member was that ASIS was essentially a
combination of entrepreneurs and professors, whose interest sometimes
overlapped but not always.  I remember one vocal social critic was Thomas
Froelich [sp?].  I presume he is still active.  There have been other
philosophical interventions; I remember a few in old issues of JASIS,
mostly those of which I disapproved.  I did not think that philosophical
profundity was rife in ASIS, and while I opened by big mouth a few times, I
did not believe that making an issue out of it would do any good.

I gave an extremely provocative speech on virtual reality in 1984 that was
condemned by many and appreciated by some for keeping everyone awake with
its scandalous nature.  I remember an online debate over the renaming of
ASIS, and I missed the point at which it was decided on.  I thought then
that a suitable moniker for ASIS would not be what it became--ASIST--but
rather the American Society for Information Commerce.