[Sigah-l] Dumain SIG/AH activity

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.org
Sun Feb 22 14:57:22 EST 2004

Summary of my SIG/AH activity, taken from an ancient resume:

         American Society for Information Science
                  Arts & Humanities Special Interest Group
                          Newsletter Editor, 1984-86
                          Conference Program Chairman, 1983-84, 1986-87
                          Chairman-Elect, 1983-84, 1986-87
                          Chairman, 1984-85, 1987-88
"Using Dbase II to Create a Thesaurus, Bibliographic Database, and
Information Retrieval System for the Philosophy of Science," talk delivered
at the 13th ASIS Mid-Year Meeting, Indiana University, Bloomington, May
20-23, 1984

Co-moderator and organizer of "Bibliometric Studies in the Humanities and
Social Sciences," 47th ASIS Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, October
21-26, 1984

Reactor, "More Thoughts on 'Artificial Reality': Humanistic Perspectives on
Human-Machine Interaction," 47th ASIS Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA,
October 21-26, 1984

Organizer, "Content Analysis in the Humanities" and "Personal Databases,
the Online Organization of Text, and the Future of Scholarly Work," 48th
ASIS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, October 1985

Moderator and organizer, "The Philosophy and Information Professions,"
3part program, 50th ASIS Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, October 1987

                 Moderator and organizer, "Language and Cultural Barriers
to Information Transfer," 52nd ASIS Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, October
1989

Something must be missing, as I'm pretty sure I was involved in the SIG/AH
program for the 1986 annual meeting.  And what about other mid-year
meetings?  I have records of all this stuff buried somewhere, as well as
copies of all the newsletters I edited.

I've just uploaded the abstracts of my 1987 3-part program on philosophy
onto one of my web sites:

The Philosophy and Information Professions: SIG/AH Program, 50th ASIS
Annual Meeting, Boston, 1987
http://www.autodidactproject.org/my/sigahphi.html

Not related to SIG/AH: I no longer have the foggiest notion of what this
was about, but I also got a letter published in JASIS:

Letter to the Editor [on pseudoscience in information science], Journal of
the American Society for Information Science, vol. 38, no. 4, July 1987, p.
310.

If you remember the '80s, you weren't there.

The C.L.R. James Institute:
      http://www.clrjamesinstitute.org
Ralph Dumain's "The Autodidact Project":
      http://www.autodidactproject.org

"Nature has no outline but imagination has."
                           -- William Blake