[Asis-standards] ISO/DFIS 13008

Mark Needleman mneedlem at ufl.edu
Sat Apr 21 15:35:01 EDT 2012

Folks

i just cast a note vote on

ISO/FDIS 13008, Information and documentation — Digital records conversion and migration process

with comments that are a combination of ones from Baden and ones I added:

 While the preface does suggest the document is  trying to standardize a process (and in that
that there would be some value) the rest of the document doesn't do
that, it talks about principles and practices for a bunch of different
steps that you may (or may not) go through in the conversion and
migration process.

The document is undoubtedly useful and informative in terms of raising
awareness of issue. However it doesn’t (in our opinion) meet the requirements for an ISO standard since it doesn’t really specify or standardize anything It could make an informative technical report, however.

mark