[Asis-standards] ISO/FDIS 13008, Information and documentation — Digital records conversion and migration process

Baden Hughes baden.hughes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 09:21:01 EDT 2012

Mark

Thanks for the prompt - I'd made a few notes but hadn't sent them yet.

As you say this is more about operational guidance -- while the
preface does suggest they are trying to standardise a process (and in
that there would be some value) the rest of the document doesn't do
that, it talks about principles and practices for a bunch of different
 steps that you may (or may not) go through in the conversion and
migration process.

To be a process standard, IMHO, there has to be a canonical series of
steps to which you must comply. I don't see that here although there
are suggestions as to activities you may perform at various stages.

The document is undoubtedly useful and informative in terms of raising
awareness of issues, but I don't think its a standard.

I agree with you we should vote NO.

Baden