[Siguse-l] PhD opportunities at UT Austin's iSchool

Jacek Gwizdka asis at gwizdka.com
Mon Nov 21 15:25:09 EST 2016

UT Austin's School of Information is looking for talented students to join
its Ph.D. Program.
==============

Our curriculum prepares our doctoral students to become high quality,
high-impact researchers. UT Austin is one of the premier research
universities in the US and the city of Austin is both a rapidly growing
center for IT research and development and one of the country's most
vibrant cities in which to live and work.

https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/programs/phd

Our school has a strong tradition of fully financially supporting our Ph.D.
students through a combination of Research Assistantships, Teaching
Assistantships, Fellowships and, in later years, teaching positions as
Assistant Instructors. Our packages of support include tuition, health
insurance, and a stipend sufficient to live comfortably in Austin.

PhD Applications for our School of Information, ranked 6th nationally, are
due ***December 15th***. While we do not guarantee consideration of late
applications, the closer to the deadline an application is received, the
greater the likelihood that it will be considered. The application process
is detailed on this page:

https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/admissions (please scroll down to PhD
Program requirements)

Our Mission
============

At the UT Austin School of Information, we are committed to making a
difference in the world.

The study of information extends beyond any existing field. Our world-class
faculty has expertise in a range of disciplines, from computer science,
psychology, and engineering to anthropology, history, communications,
English, science and technology studies, and more. We come together to
study and educate people about the interactions of people and information;
the processes of managing and organizing information for meaning and use;
and the impact of new technologies and behaviors on individuals,
organizations and society. We seek students who can see beyond current
approaches to problems, who recognize that information transcends
boundaries, and who are comfortable crossing disciplines in search of
answers.

The greatest challenges facing today's modern information society are to
tackle the extraordinary complexity of information, to discover principles
and processes to manage its massive scale, and to leverage it to enhance
our lives.

We seek the best and brightest people who thrive on challenges:

* People dedicated to creating new forms of information systems that can
augment human and organizational capabilities

* People committed to exploring the human and technological principles and
processes that underlie information complexity

* People seeking to understand human-computer interaction, from interacting
with mobile devices, to systems in homes, organizations, and governments.

* People energized by a vision of a diverse society where access to
relevant information is not a luxury but a requirement

* People appreciative of the importance and challenge of preserving and
disseminating information on the human cultural record

Our faculty and students are passionate about information, and we welcome
others who want to join us in helping to forge a better information
society. We encourage prospective applicants to explore our faculty and our
research.

https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/people/faculty_directory

https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/research

----------------------

Jacek Gwizdka, PhD (Toronto)  http://gwizdka.com/research
'Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate' - William
of Ockham (1285-1349)
Research Talk <http://bit.ly/Jacek_RU_talk_2015> on NeuroIR
Assistant Professor at School of Information, University of Texas at Austin
1616 Guadalupe St,  Austin, TX 78701, USA |  Office 5.532 (5th floor)
Information eXperience (IX) lab Co-Director   |  ACM Senior Member
Distinguished Fellow of the Kosciuszko Foundation Collegium of Eminent
Scientists
<http://jsg.tel/>