[Siguse-l] ASIST SIGUSE 2011 call for participation

xy454777 at albany.edu xy454777 at albany.edu
Tue Sep 20 17:14:57 EDT 2011

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

11th ANNUAL SIG USE RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM
ASIS&T 2011
October 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA, USA

Where Your World Meets Mine: Information Use Across Domains

There’s still time to register for the 11th Annual ASIS&T SIG USE Research
Symposium.  The Symposium will explore the intersections of information
seeking and use with domains outside of information science.  A dozen
years ago, Marcia Bates identified information science as “a field that
cuts across, or is orthogonal to, the conventional academic disciplines”
(Bates, 1999, p. 1044).  In the last decade, information science’s
attention to cross-disciplinary questions has remained a central focus of
the field.  To some degree, working in information science inherently
means working across boundaries.  As information behavior researchers and
practitioners, we must not only be immersed in information science
practices and perspectives, but able to entertain, incorporate, and
challenge the perspectives of the various other domains in which we work.

This symposium invites researchers, graduate students, and practitioners
to reflect on and discuss experiences in their own work of boundary
crossing, boundary living, and boundary pushing.  A series of keynote
dialogues will pair information behavior researchers with practitioners
from related domains of study, with the goal of stimulating lively and
focused discussion sessions among participants.  Whether their own work
lies near the center of information science or at the boundaries,
participants will emerge with new understandings of and reflections on how
working across a wide range of disciplines and domains enables synergies
between our world and the worlds of our collaborators.

SCHEDULE
8:00 – 8:45  Continental breakfast
8:45 – 9:00  Welcome and introduction
9:00 – 9:20  Introduction to the topic of information use across domains
(Carole Palmer, University of Illinois)
9:20 – 10:00  Keynote presentation: Health and Healthcare (Nancy Roderer,
Johns Hopkins)
10:00 – 10:15  Break
10:15 – 12:15  Morning discussion groups
12:15 – 12:45  Chatman Award presentation and presentation of SIG USE awards
12:45 – 1:30  Lunch
1:30 – 2:15  Keynote presentation: Social work and social issues (Julie
Hersberger, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and Jacqueline
Solis, Davis Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
2:15 – 3:30  Afternoon discussion groups
3:30 – 4:00  Discussion wrap-up and Conclusion

To register, go to: http://asis.org/asist2011/register.html.  Registration
is now open and will continue until the day of the workshop.

Registration fees:
* $105 for SIG USE members.
* $110 for nonmembers.
The workshop registration fee will cover workshop costs, a light
breakfast, coffee breaks, and lunch.

WORKSHOP PLANNING COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
* Denise Agosto, Drexel University (chair) (dea22 at drexel.edu)
* Maria Souden, University College Dublin (maria.souden at ucd.edu)
* Barbara Wildemuth, University of North Carolina (wildemuth at unc.edu)
* Xiaojun Yuan, University at Albany, State University of New York
(xyuan at albany.edu)