[Siguse-l] Donald Case receives SIG USE award

Lynn Westbrook lynnwest at ischool.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 3 02:11:53 EDT 2011

The SIG USE Cabinet is pleased to announce that Donald Case is the 2011 recipient of our highest honor -  the Outstanding Contributions to Information Behavior Award.  Professor Case will be inducted into our Academy of Fellows along with other award recipients.  Prof. Case has an international and well-earned reputation as a scholar who brings critical inquiry to bear on the fascinating complexities of human information experiences.

Donald Case has been interested in studies of information behavior for over 30 years--since his days as a Master’s student at Syracuse University.  He is the author of over 40 journal articles on information seeking, information technology and other topics. Case’s book, “Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs, and Behavior” (2002) was given the “Best Book of the Year” Award by the American Society for Information Science & Technology.  A third edition of “Looking” will appear in spring of 2012.

During 2008-2009, Donald was President of the ASIST, and currently serves on the Editorial Board for JASIS&T. He has held the post of Professor in the University of Kentucky College of Communication and Information Studies since 1994. Before joining UK Case was a faculty member at the University of California, Los Angeles, from 1983 to 1994. During 1989 he received a Fulbright Fellowship to lecture at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal, and during fall of 2011 he will enjoy another short-term Fulbright lectureship at three Finnish universities.

Although Prof. Case is not able to attend our annual awards ceremony on Wednesday October 12, Prof. Barbara Wildemuth, last year's recipient, will be accepting on his behalf.  Please join me in welcoming Donald Case to the SIG USE Academy of Fellows.

Lynn Westbrook, SIG USE Chair 2010-2011
School of Information
University of Texas at Austin
512/232-7831