[Sigtis-l] SIG name change vote needed

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Sep 22 11:55:08 EDT 2005

Personally,  while I think social informatics is important and
strongly identify some of my research as being in that arena.   I
think that TIS is the broader and more encompassing category, and has
less theoretical, methodological, and related implications for the
future of the group, and as such I think that the group should not
change its identity to what I view as a more narrow category.

contrarily i would say that if there is interest Asist should
establish an independent Sig-SI separate from this group instead of
renaming this group.  I recognize the value of the Sig-SI agenda.

In short, I think that there is likely members of this group that do
not do social informatics or do not do social informatics all of the
time and thus may not be interested in being part of the group that
reimagine's itself in that way.   I'm not sure why things are being
moved in this way, but I would like to hear from other people in
support or against this directly.

I do not think people should support the renaming.  I think people
should support the creation of a  new Sig-SI

Thanks,