[Sigsti-l] Final Call for Poster Proposals: ACRL Science and Technology Section, 2011 ALA Annual Conference

Peter Kirlew kirle001 at umn.edu
Fri Dec 17 18:17:48 EST 2010

***Please excuse cross-posting ***

Final Call for Poster Proposals: ACRL Science and Technology Section
(ACRL-STS), ALA Annual Conference, New Orleans, 2011.

The ACRL STS Research Committee and STS Program Planning Committee invite
proposals for posters to be exhibited during the STS program reception at
the ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans.  Posters will be displayed from
11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on Monday, June 27, 2010, immediately following the
STS program, which starts at 8:30 a.m. All proposers for accepted posters
must be present to answer questions.

We encourage proposals for posters relating to the following program theme:
”Innovation in an age of Limits” While the tendency in hard economic times
is to be conservative and avoid risks, this environment creates the need,
and opportunities, to innovate. STS began 50 years ago in an era of
seemingly unlimited possibilities, with the Cold War driving investment in
scientific research, big technology, and higher education.  Now we face
grand challenges in science, engineering and library services.  Current
economic conditions are limiting, but our only real limit is our ability to
innovate.

Expanding on that theme, we believe that advances in information access have
significantly impacted innovation in the library world and beyond, and that
some of those innovations have in turn advanced information access.  What do
you see on the horizon in both of those directions in the future?  For
example:

1)  In what ways and in what fields do you see advances in information
access having the most significant impact in the next X number of years?
2)  What innovations will have the greatest impact on access to information
in that same X number of years?
3)  What roles will a) academic libraries and b) the economic climate play
in any of the above?

To be part of this program of the Science and Technology Section of ACRL,
submit your poster ideas by Monday December 27, 2010. (Deadline extended).

Poster proposals should be:
•    Well written, clear, logical and well organized (250 words or less).
•    Original, timely and relevant to science/technology librarianship.
•    Contribute to the advancement of science librarianship.
•    Develop ideas, offer significant conclusions, and provide useful and
practical findings.
•    Appeal to and engage the audience, providing opportunities for
discussion and interaction.
•    Provide a good visual description of the project.

Special attention will be given to proposals that:
•    Relate to this year's theme.
•    Generate ideas or report on work that contributes to an ongoing
discussion about the future of  science and technology librarianship.
•    Demonstrate innovative thinking.
•    Contribute ideas for positioning science and technology librarians to
be leaders both on and off campus.
•    Present strategies for effectively implementing new ideas.

Examples of last year’s posters can be found at this url:
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/about/sections/sts/conferences/Posters_2010.cfm

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: Monday December 27, 2010. Review of submissions
will begin immediately.

Poster proposals (250 words or less) should be submitted via e-mail to:
Andrew Stuart, Co-Chair of the STS Research Committee, stuarta at ohio.edu .

Be sure to include your name, institution, phone, fax, e-mail address, and
poster title. We do not accept proposals from vendors. Please include Poster
Proposal ACRL-STS in the subject line of your email.