[Sigsti-l] STI Proposed Programs for ASIST 2004

Ann Eagan Ann.Eagan at NAU.EDU
Thu Oct 30 16:45:21 EST 2003

Members present at the STI planning meeting at the ASIST Annual Meeting in
Long Beach offered the following ideas for panel presentations for ASIST
2004.  Please send me your comments, any additional ideas, possible
speakers or possible contacts for speakers by November 7.  I'd also like
you to prioritize the ideas so we can get a feel for what you would most
like to see as programs.

1) Reference services and knowledgebases: when is help helpful.

           The use and implications of knowledgebases within the context of
digital reference projects in the sciences

Program coordinators: Julie Arnold, Pat Flanagan
Possible co-sponsors: CR, USE, KM
Possible contact: Michael Smith, chair KM

2) Trans-national bio-informatics initiatives

           Technical and research issues for genomics and proteomics
databases that cross national boundaries.

Program coordinators: KT Vaughan, Gail Hodge
Possible co-sponsors: MED, III
Possible contact: Nancy Blaise UW For MED - actually contact Lauren
Harrison at Roche.com

3) Project level metadata in digital libraries.

           Discussion of how to describe and manage groups of  collections
of digital objects  .

Program coordinator: Gail Hodge
Possible co-sponsors: KM, DL, CR

4) Open Access Initiatives in the sciences

           A look at current projects and models, with an emphasis on
institutional vs discipline based repositories.

Program coordinator: Deborah Helman
Possible co-sponsors: DL

5) Sociology of Scholarly Communication

           The social processes of the life cycle of information

Program coordinator: Jon Jablonski
Possible co-sponsors: HSIF

6) Physical infrastructure of research

           How high speed networking infrastructures are changing the way
science gets done.

Program coordinators: Pat Flanagan, Brian Gray, Gail Hodge

7) Metasearch tools:  why some stick and some don't.

Program coordinator: Deborah Helman
Possible co-sponsors: LT, Standards Committee

Thanks,

Ann Eagan, Chair STI

Ann Eagan
ann.eagan at nau.edu