[Sigsti-l] SIG-STI Information

Jian Qin Jqin at syr.edu
Sun Nov 24 10:36:30 EST 2002

Hi, Julie,

These sound an ambitious plan for next year! K.T. did a great job in the past year and our SIG deserves this award. I also want to thank everyone who was on the jury committee for the student awards.

Jian

>>> "Julie Arnold" <jh276 at umail.umd.edu> 11/22/02 01:48PM >>>

SIG STI,

Hello members! I am happy to be your Chair for the next year. I'd like to offer my congratulations on winning SIG of the YEAR, 2002! (Way to go, K.T., and everyone else who worked hard this past year.) I hope we can do it again.

At the planning meeting last Tuesday we came up with many great ideas for panels for next year. Following is a summary of those. Please email the list with any additional ideas you may have. Please also let me know if you are aware of possible speakers. Once we have a complete list I will send them to SIG-L in case anyone is interesting in collaborating with us.

1) Interactive roundtable discussion with end users of digital science materials (e.g. physicists, computer scientists, astronomers, etc)

2) Subject specialized virtual reference (e.g., NASA, ASEE) (possible collaboration with SIG-CR)

3) Capturing "lessons learned" from government agencies -- includes issues of knowledge management, templates, markup language, information retrieval (possible collaboration with KM and ALP).

4) Education of scientist librarians/informationists -- which is more important, science or librarianship? (possible collaboration with III, ED)

5) Biological Informatics (NOT Bioinformatics) -- integration of information in ecology, natural resources and biology. (possibly an interactive poster session)

6) NSDL follow-up (one year later) -- (with SIG DL)

7) Public domain information in the sciences (with IFP)

Julie Arnold
Coordinator of Reference Services
Virtual Reference Services Coordinator
Computer Science/Aerospace Engineering Liaison
Engineering and Physical Sciences Library
University of Maryland
301-405-9151
jh276 at umail.umd.edu