[Sigsti-l] More programs for next year...

Hall, Deanna DHall1 at BioLabinc.com
Fri Dec 20 17:50:36 EST 2002

Hello SIG/STI-

Item 4. in your list of panels for next year caught my eye.
I organized and moderated a debate-format panel which was
sponsored by SIG/IAE at ASIS '85 in Las Vegas (session #68
in the program for that year, if you want to look at the
session abstract and panelists' names) titled Staffing the
Information Center Research Function: The Case for Hiring
Dual Competencies vs. On-the-Job Learning.  Of the 4
panelists, Dick Blue's paper is published in the Proceedings
for that year.  Claire McInerney was one of the other
panelists, and may still have a copy of her remarks.  In
addition, I did a fair amount of background research to set
the stage for the debate, and have copies of it.

In my view, the issue should not be presented as a case of
either physical science or library science, but rather as a case of, "Why
not
both physical science and library science?" (hence "dual competencies") (my
own background).  Whatever the viewpoint, it has
been too long ignored by the library/information science education
community, and is overdue to be aired again.  I would like to collaborate
with whoever is putting this session together, in the hope of advancing the
status of the perceptions surrounding this issue.

Deanna Morrow Hall
Knowledge Center Manager
Bio-Lab, Inc.
Decatur  GA   30030