[Sigmetrics] Self-organized Criticality as a Model of Scientific Revolutions and Change; preprint

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Fri Mar 2 03:35:59 EST 2018

Discontinuities in Citation Relations among Journals:
<https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.00554>

Self-organized Criticality as a Model of Scientific Revolutions and
Change <https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.00554>

Using three-year moving averages of the complete Journal Citation
Reports 1994-2016 of the Science Citation Index and the Social Sciences
Citation Index (combined), we analyze links between citing and cited
journals in terms of (1) whether discontinuities among the networks of
consecutive years have occurred; (2) are these discontinuities
relatively isolated or networked? (3) Can these discontinuities be used
as indicators of novelty, change, and innovation in the sciences? We
examine each of the N2 links among the N journals across the years. We
find power-laws for the top 10,000 instances of change, which we suggest
interpreting in terms of “self-organized criticality”: co-evolutions of
avalanches in aggregated citation relations and meta-stable states in
the knowledge base can be expected to drive the sciences towards the
edges of chaos. The flux of journal-journal citations in new manuscripts
may generate an avalanche in the meta-stable networks, but one can
expect the effects to remain local (for example, within a specialty).
The avalanches can be of any size; they reorient the relevant citation
environments by inducing a rewrite of history in the affected
partitions.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.00554
Loet Leydesdorff,*[1] <#_ftn1> Caroline S. Wagner,[2] <#_ftn2> and Lutz
Bornmann[3] <#_ftn3>

[1] <#_ftnref1> *corresponding author; Amsterdam School of Communication
Research (ASCoR), University of Amsterdam

PO Box 15793, 1001 NG Amsterdam, The Netherlands; loet at leydesdorff.net

[2] <#_ftnref2> John Glenn College of Public Affairs, The Ohio State
University, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 43210; wagner.911 at osu.edu

[3] <#_ftnref3> Division for Science and Innovation Studies,
Administrative Headquarters of the Max Planck Society, Hofgartenstr. 8,
80539 Munich, Germany; bornmann at gv.mpg.de