[Sigmetrics] 1findr: research discovery & analytics platform

Éric Archambault eric.archambault at science-metrix.com
Mon Apr 30 18:53:11 EDT 2018

Thank you very much Emilio. Please find out answers to your questions:

  1.  What is the main source of the metadata to those 89,561,005 articles? Is it perhaps Crossref?
Yes, we do use Crossref, which is one of the best sources of data around. 1findr is built with the help of an enrichment/clustering/mashup/filtering data processing pipeline. There are currently 75 million records from Crossref out of the total 450 million records entering the pipeline (17%).  This doesn’t mean that 17% of the records are straight from Crossref, it means that Crossref currently represents 17%  of the ingredients used to produce 1findr. In the next few months, we’ll add content of BASE<https://www.base-search.net/> https://www.base-search.net/ and CORE<https://core.ac.uk/> https://core.ac.uk/ as these organizations have accepted to share the fruits of their labour. This will certainly help to fill gaps in 1findr and further increase quality, help us produce complete records, and generally increase depth and breadth. Please encourage BASE and CORE; they are providing an extremely useful public service. We are examining the best way to add these sources to our datastore, which will then increase to close to 700 million bibliographic records. We think 1findr will then be able to add 5-10 million records we may not have yet, and using these sources and others we will likely surpass 100 million records this year, which will help users be assured that they search closer to the full population of articles published in peer-reviewed journals.

  1.  How have peer-reviewed journals been identified?
In a nutshell, through a long learning curve and an expensive self-financed compilation process. We have been building a list of peer-reviewed journals since about 2002 with the first efforts being initiated at Science-Metrix when we started the company. We pursued and intensified the efforts at 1science starting as soon as we spun off the company in 2014, and we now use tens of methods to acquire candidate journals and we are always adding new ones. We are constantly honing the list, adding journals, withdrawing journals we find do not meet our criteria and for which we have evidence of quality-reviewing avoidance. In short, the journals included in 1findr need to be scholarly/scientific/research journals and be peer-reviewed/refereed, which most of the time means having references, and this is to the exclusion of trade journals and popular science magazines. This working definition works really well in the health and natural sciences and in most of the arts, humanities and social sciences, and is somewhat more challenged in architecture, the most un-typical field in academia. Currently, the white list that contributes to building 1findr contains more than 85,000 journals, and 1findr already has content for close to 80,000 of them. This journal list is itself curated, clustered, enriched, and filtered from a larger dataset stored in a system containing more than 300,000 entries. We feel we are converging on an exhaustive inventory of the contemporary active journals, but we still have work to do to identify the whole retrospective list of relevant journals as far back as 1665.

  1.  Are all document types in these journals covered? Editorial material, news, comments, book reviews...
The bibliographic database that powers 1findr is presently mostly used as a specialized discovery system for documents published in peer-reviewed journals. However, this datastore has been built from the ground up to evolve into a powerful bibliometric database. As such, we have concentrated our efforts on the types of documents considered to be “original contributions to knowledge”. These are the document types that are usually counted in bibliometric studies, e.g. “articles”, “notes”, and “reviews”. 1findr is positively biased towards these. That said, for most of the journals, we have been collecting material from cover-to-cover, but many items with no author currently stay in the datastore, and have not made their way to 1findr yet. We will change our clustering/filtering rules in the next few months to include more material types, and 1findr will grow in size by several million records as a consequence of adding more news, comments, and similar types of documents.

  1.  How have OA versions of the documents been identified?
Using focused harvesters, 1findr scrutinizes the web in search of metadata sources which are likely to correspond to scholarly publications. To reduce the amount of upstream curation required, our system harvests only relevant metadata, which is used to build the datastore with its 450 million metadata records. When the system clusters documents and freely finds downloadable versions of the papers, it takes note of this. At 1science, we use the definition of “gratis” open access suggested by Peter Suber. This means that articles are freely downloadable, readable, printable, but may or may not have rights attached. For example, disembargoed gold open access (gold open access means made available either directly or in a mediated manner by publishers) made available through a moving pay wall/free access model are frequently associated with residual rights, whereas green open access (green OA means archived by a party other than a publisher or other than a publisher’s mediator – Scielo and PubMedCentral being examples of such mediators) are more frequently without. We code OA versions based on these definitions of green and gold. The OA colouring scheme has nothing to do with usage rights, or with the fact that a paper is a preprint, a postprint (author’s final peer-reviewed manuscript) or a version of record. Who makes the paper available, what rights there are, and what version of the manuscript is made available are three dimensions we are careful not to conflate. Most of the operational definitions we use in 1findr find their root in the study Science-Metrix conducted for the European Commission on the measurement of the percentage of articles published in peer-reviewed journals.

http://science-metrix.com/sites/default/files/science-metrix/publications/d_1.8_sm_ec_dg-rtd_proportion_oa_1996-2013_v11p.pdf
You can also find other reports on OA for this and more recent projects on Science-Metrix’ selected reports list:
http://science-metrix.com/en/publications/reports

  1.  How have articles been categorized in subjects?
To classify articles, we use the CC BY classification created by Science-Metrix and used in its bibliometric studies:
http://www.science-metrix.com/en/classification
http://science-metrix.com/sites/default/files/science-metrix/sm_journal_classification_106_1.xls
This classification is available in more than 20 languages, and we are currently working on version 2.0. For the time being, 1findr uses the Science-Metrix classification to perform a journal-level classification of articles, but stay tuned for article-level classification of articles.

  1.  To what extent has Google Scholar data been used to build 1findr?
We have used Google Scholar for tactical purposes, to do cross-checks and for benchmarking. We do not scrape Google Scholar or use Google Scholar metadata. There are vestigial traces of Google Scholar in our system and between 1.8% and 4.4% of the hyperlinks to gratis OA papers which are used in 1findr could come from that source. These are progressively being replaced with refreshed links secured from other sources.

What really distinguishes 1findr from all other sources of data we know of is that we really care about global research. We haven’t seen anyone else doing as much work as we’ve done to make accessible the extraordinarily interesting activity that can be found in the long tail of science and academia. Just like most researchers, we care to have access to the material from the top tier publishers and we’re really open to working with them to make their articles more discoverable and more useful for them and for the whole world. But we do not focus solely on the top tiers. The focus of 1science is on the big picture in the scholarly publishing world. Our research in the last 10 years has revealed that thousands of journals have emerged with the global transition to open access, and there are thousands of journals in the eastern part of the world and the Global South that were traditionally ignored and saw their journals unfairly being shunned by the mainstream indexes. We are not creating a product that isolates Eastern or Southern contents from a core package centered on the West. There is 1 science, and it should be conveniently accessible in 1 place and this is why we created 1findr.
Cordially

Éric

Eric Archambault, PhD
CEO  |  Chef de la direction
C. 1.514.518.0823
eric.archambault at science-metrix.com<mailto:eric.archambault at science-metrix.com>
science-metrix.com<http://www.science-metrix.com/>  &  1science.com<http://www.science-metrix.com/>

First of all, I would like to congratulate the team behind 1findr for releasing this new product. New scientific information systems with an open approach that make their resources available to the scientific community are always welcome. A few days ago another system was launched (Lens https://www.lens.org), and not many weeks ago Dimensions was launched (https://app.dimensions.ai). The landscape of scientific information systems is becoming increasingly more populated. Everyone is moving: new platforms with new features, new actors with new ideas, and old actors trying to adapt rather than die...

In order to be able to build a solid idea of what 1findr is and how it has been constructed, I woul like to formulate some questions, since I haven't found their answer in the website:

What is the main source of the metadata to those 89,561,005 articles? Is it perhaps Crossref?

How have peer-reviewed journals been identified?

Are all document types in these journals covered? Editorial material, news, comments, book reviews...

How have OA versions of the documents been identified?

How have articles been categorised in subjects?

To what extent has Google Scholar data been used to build 1findr?

We think this information will help assess exactly what 1findr offers that is not offered by other platforms.

Kind regards,

---

Emilio Delgado López-Cózar

Facultad de Comunicación y Documentación

Universidad de Granada

http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=es&user=kyTHOh0AAAAJ

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Emilio_Delgado_Lopez-Cozar

http://googlescholardigest.blogspot.com.es

Dubitando ad veritatem pervenimus (Cicerón, De officiis. A. 451...)

Contra facta non argumenta

A fructibus eorum cognoscitis eos (San Mateo 7, 16)