[Sigmetrics] preprint "Synergy in the Knowledge Base of U.S. Innovation Systems at National, State, and Regional Levels"

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Tue Oct 31 03:31:04 EDT 2017

Synergy in the Knowledge Base of U.S. Innovation Systems at National,
State, and Regional Levels: The Contributions of High-Tech Manufacturing
and Knowledge-Intensive Services <https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.11017>
<https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.11017>
>Loet Leydesdorff, Caroline S. Wagner, Igone Porto-Gomez, Jordan A.
>Comins, Fred Phillips
>Synergies among technological opportunities, market perspectives, and
>geographical endowments can be considered as indicators of systemness.
>Using information theory, we propose a measure of synergy among
>size-classes, zip-codes, and NACE-codes for 8.5 million American firms.
>The synergy at the national level is decomposed at the level of states
>and Core-Based Statistical Areas (CBSA) as regions. Thereafter, we zoom
>in to the state of California and in even more detail to Silicon
>Valley. Our results do not support the assumption of a national system
>of innovations in the U.S.A. Innovation systems appear to operate at
>the level of the states, the CBSA regions are too small, so that
>systemness spills across their borders. Decomposition of the sample in
>terms of high-tech manufacturing (HTM), medium-high-tech manufacturing
>(MHTM), knowledge-intensive services (KIS), and high-tech services
>(HTKIS) does not change this pattern, but refines it. The East
>Coast--New Jersey, Boston, and New York--and California are the major
>players, with Texas a third one in the case of HTKIS. At the regional
>level, Chicago and industrial centers in the Midwest also contribute
>synergy. Within California, Los Angeles and its environment contribute
>synergy in the sectors of manufacturing, the San Francisco area in KIS,
>and Silicon Valley in both, but with synergy mainly generated by
>manufacturing. Knowledge-intensive services in Silicon Valley spillover
>to other regions and even globally.
Preprint at https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.11017
** apologies for cross-postings

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet at leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;