[Sigmetrics] Statistical Significance and Effect Sizes of Differences among Research Universities; preprint

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Tue Oct 31 03:22:33 EDT 2017

Statistical Significance and Effect Sizes of Differences among Research
Universities at the Level of Nations and Worldwide based on the Leiden
Rankings <https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.11020>

Loet Leydesdorff, Lutz Bornmann, John Mingers
>One can use the Leiden Rankings for grouping research universities by
>considering universities which are not significantly different as a
>homogeneous set. Such groupings reduce the complexity of the rankings
>without losing information. We pursue this classification using both
>statistical significance and effect sizes of differences among 902
>universities in 54 countries, we focus on the UK, Germany, and Brazil
>as national examples. Although the groupings remain largely the same
>using different statistical significance levels, the resulting
>classifications are uncorrelated with the ones based on effect sizes
>(Cramer's V < .3). Effect sizes for the differences between
>universities are small (w <.2). The results based on
>statistical-significance testing can be understood intuitively.
>However, the results based on effect sizes suggest a division between a
>North-Atlantic and an Asian-Pacific group. The more detailed analysis
>of universities at the country level suggests that distinctions between
>more than three groups of universities (high, middle, low) are not
>meaningful.
Preprint at https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.11020
** apologies for cross-postings

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet at leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;