[Sigmetrics] Global and average Impact Factors

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Tue Oct 24 04:00:53 EDT 2017

Dear Isidro:

>- "Global Impact Factor"= the sum of all the IF of the papers they
>produced (without any normalization)
>- "Average Impact Factor" = the average of IF per paper (or per author)

1. I assume that you meant with "IF of the papers" the IFs of the
journals in which the papers were published. This is a first source of
error. The lack of normalization a second.

2. Please, explain why averaging these numbers would be "an horrendous
mathematical error". Perhaps, in terms of formulas? I can see that it is
not a very smart indicator. :-)

Best,
Loet