[Sigmetrics] What is the effect of synergy in international collaboration on regional economies?

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Wed Apr 19 08:50:39 EDT 2017

Inga A. Ivanova, Øivind Strand, and Loet Leydesdorff (2017; early view).

What is the effect of synergy in international collaboration on regional
economies?

Journal of the Knowledge Economy. doi: 10.1007/s13132-017-0480-2 ;
https://arxiv.org/abs/1605.06013

In the present paper, we analyze the effect of international collaboration
on regional markets. We compare two Norwegian counties with very different
profiles in terms of how international or regional cooperation affects the
synergy generated among the geographical, technological, and organizational
distributions of firms. This synergy is much larger in the rural region with
international industry than in the region with a strong knowledge
infrastructure. International firms can take the role of knowledge brokers
in lagging regions with weak knowledge institutions. The methodological
contribution of this study is that we translate the synergy (abstractly
measured in bits of information) into more familiar economic terms, such as
turnover for the special case of domestic-foreign collaborations. The
analysis is based on Norwegian data, as Norway is a small country with an
open and export-oriented economy. Data for Norway is publicly available in
great detail. The Triple-Helix synergy caused by firms with foreign
ownership is a new indicator of the international contribution to the
efficiency of the innovation system in a region. The indicator can also be
interpreted as a measure of the attractiveness of regional industries to
international corporations,

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;