[Sigmetrics] Citizen bibliometrics - an alternative take

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:04:20 EDT 2016

The overview of Yves’ book notes that

*"Bibliometrics is hailed as an “objective” measure of research quality, a
quantitative measure more useful than “subjective” and intuitive evaluation
methods such as peer review that have been used since scientific papers
were first published in the seventeenth century.”*

and I presume he will be criticizing this trend.

But I don’t understand why the implied issue is “objective bibliometrics"
vs. "subjective peer review.”

First, the bibliometrics are mostly applied to peer-reviewed research. So
there is both; the bibliometrics are a complement or supplement, not a
substitute for peer review(except for a few wacky proposals)

Second, peer review is not entirely subjective: referees have to give
reasons and evidence for their judgments.

(Note that I am defending neither blinkered reliance on bibliometrics nor
excess confidence in the reliability or rigour of peer review.)

Stevan Harnad