[Sigmetrics] excellence mapping / excellence networks

Bornmann, Lutz lutz.bornmann at gv.mpg.de
Thu Nov 24 11:00:41 EST 2016

Dear colleague,

We have updated our excellence mapping / excellence network sides (www.excellencemapping.net<http://www.excellencemapping.net>, www.excellence-networks.net<http://www.excellence-network.net>). The underlying publications appeared between 2009 and 2013 in the new release.

Excellence mapping: This web application visualizes scientific excellence worldwide in several subject areas. For each institution (university or research-focused institution), the estimated probabilities of (i) publishing highly cited papers (Best Paper Rate) or (ii) publishing in the most influential journals (Best Journal Rate) are shown. Both probabilities, which can be adjusted by covariates, range from blue (high probability) through grey (average) to red (low probability) at a circle. The circle size corresponds to the institutional number of papers.

Excellence networks: This web application visualizes how successful universities or research-focused institutions collaborate. The application is based on papers (articles, reviews and conference papers) published between 2009 and 2013 in several subject areas. For each subject area, those institutions (universities and research-focused institutions worldwide) were selected in the SCImago Institutions Ranking which published at least 500 papers in the publication period. We refer to these institutions as "reference institutions". For every reference institution, the collaborating institutions were identified. Collaborating institutions are those which have co-authored at least ten publications with the respective reference institution. We refer to the collaborating institutions as “network institutions”. We estimated statistical models (Bayesian multilevel logistic regressions) for the several subject areas. The statistically estimated best paper rates which the reference institutions have achieved with its network institutions are visualized. The best paper rate gives the proportion of highly cited papers from an institution and is considered generally as a robust indicator for measuring citation impact. Co-authorship networks (based on institutional affiliations) show how successfully overall an institution (reference institution) has collaborated compared to all the other institutions in a subject area, and with which other institutions (network institutions) an institution has collaborated best.

Best,

Lutz

---------------------------------------

Dr. Dr. habil. Lutz Bornmann
Division for Science and Innovation Studies
Administrative Headquarters of the Max Planck Society
Hofgartenstr. 8
80539 Munich
Tel.: +49 89 2108 1265
Mobil: +49 170 9183667