[Sigmetrics] A Comprehensive Examination of the Relation of Three Citation-Based Journal Metrics to Expert Judgment of Journal Quality

Saeed Ul Hassan saeedulhassan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 17:42:57 EST 2016

A Comprehensive Examination of the Relation of Three Citation-Based Journal
Metrics to Expert Judgment of Journal Quality

Peter Haddawy, Saeed-Ul Hassan, Awais Asghar, Sarah Amin

Abstract
The academic and research policy communities have seen a long debate
concerning the merits of peer review and quantitative citation-based
metrics in evaluation of research. Some have called for replacing peer
review with use of metrics for some evaluation purposes, while others have
called for the use peer review informed by metrics. Whatever one's
position, a key question is the extent to which peer review and
quantitative metrics agree. In this paper we study the relation between the
three journal metrics source normalized impact per paper (SNIP), raw impact
per paper (RIP) and Journal Impact Factor (JIF) and human expert judgement.
Using the journal rating system produced by the Excellence in Research for
Australia (ERA) exercise, we examine the relationship over a set of more
than 10,000 journals categorized into 27 subject areas. We analyze the
relationship from the dimensions of correlation, distribution of the
metrics over the rating tiers, and ROC analysis. Our results show that SNIP
consistently has stronger agreement with the ERA rating, followed by RIP
and then JIF along every dimension measured. The fact that SNIP has a
stronger agreement than RIP demonstrates clearly that the increase in
agreement is due to SNIP's database citation potential normalization
factor. Our results suggest that SNIP may be a better choice than RIP or
JIF in evaluation of journal quality in situations where agreement with
expert judgment is an important consideration.

Online version is available at: http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1SNnw6EAijaFCi

Best Regards,
Saeed

Assistant Professor
Information Technology University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan