[Sigmetrics] excellence networks

Jonathan Adams j.adams at digital-science.com
Wed Jan 13 04:41:47 EST 2016

Lutz

This is excellent and a very useful tool.  I am already loving the
analyses.  Your team is doing us all a great service.

Jonathan

On 13 January 2016 at 09:32, Bornmann, Lutz <lutz.bornmann at gv.mpg.de> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> You might be interested in our new Web-based application:
> www.excellence-networks.net
>

> This web application visualizes how successful universities or
> research-focused institutions collaborate. The application is based on
> papers (articles, reviews and conference papers) published between 2007 and
> 2011 in 17 subject areas. For each subject area, those institutions
> (universities and research-focused institutions worldwide) were selected in
> the SCImago Institutions Ranking which published at least 500 papers in the
> publication period. We refer to these institutions as "reference
> institutions". For every reference institution, the collaborating
> institutions were identified. Collaborating institutions are those which
> have co-authored at least ten publications with the respective reference
> institution. We refer to the collaborating institutions as “network
> institutions”. We estimated statistical models (Bayesian multilevel
> logistic regressions) for the 17 subject areas. The statistically estimated
> best paper rates which the reference institutions have achieved with its
> network institutions are visualized. The best paper rate gives the
> proportion of highly cited papers from an institution and is considered
> generally as a robust indicator for measuring citation impact.
> Co-authorship networks (based on institutional affiliations) show how
> successfully overall an institution (reference institution) has
> collaborated compared to all the other institutions in a subject area, and
> with which other institutions (network institutions) an institution has
> collaborated best.
>

> The corresponding paper which is accepted for publication in the Journal
> of Informetrics can be downloaded here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1508.03950
>

> ---------------------------------------
>

> Dr. Dr. habil. Lutz Bornmann
>
> Division for Science and Innovation Studies
>
> Administrative Headquarters of the Max Planck Society
>
> Hofgartenstr. 8
>
> 80539 Munich
>
> Tel.: +49 89 2108 1265
>
> Mobil: +49 170 9183667
>
> Email: bornmann at gv.mpg.de
>
> WWW: www.lutz-bornmann.de
>
> ResearcherID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-3926-2008
>
> ResearchGate: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lutz_Bornmann

Dr Jonathan Adams
Chief Scientist, Digital Science
Visiting Professor, King's College London
*http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/policy-institute/people/kpi-visiting/adams.aspx
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/policy-institute/people/kpi-visiting/adams.aspx>*

M/ +44 7964 908449
E/ j.adams at digital-science.com

Macmillan Publishers Ltd
The Glasshouse Building
2 Trematon Walk
(via Wharfdale Road)
London N1 9FN, UK

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/research/research-intelligence-proof-is-in-the-numbers/411118.article

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone
who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in
error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Digital Science Limited nor any of its agents
accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own
and not expressly made on behalf of Digital Science & Research Limited or
one
of its agents. Please note that neither Digital Science & Research Limited
 nor
any of its agents accept any responsibility for viruses that may be
contained
in this e-mail or its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the
e-mail and attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of
Digital Science & Research Limited or its agents by means of e-mail
communication. Digital Science & Research Limited Registered in England and
Wales with registered number 7397265. Registered Office Brunel Road,
Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS