[Sigmetrics] Economic and Technological Complexity: A Model Study of Indicators of Knowledge-based Innovation Systems

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Wed Feb 10 02:13:10 EST 2016

Economic and Technological Complexity:  <http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.02348>
A Model Study of Indicators of Knowledge-based Innovation Systems

Inga Ivanova, Oivind Strand, Duncan Kushnir, and Loet Leydesdorff

Hidalgo & Hausmann's (2009) Economic Complexity Index (ECI) measures the
complexity of national economies in terms of product groups. Analogously to
ECI, we develop the Patent Complexity Index (PatCI) on the basis of a matrix
of nations versus patent classes. Using linear algebra, the three dimensions
countries, product groups, and patent classes can be combined into an
integrated ("Triple Helix") measure of complexity (THCI). We measure ECI,
PatCI, and THCI during the period 2000-2014 for the 34 OECD member states,
the BRICS countries, and a group of emerging economies (Argentina, Hong
Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Romania, and Singapore). The positive correlation
between ECI and average income claimed as an argument for the predictive
value of ECI cannot be confirmed using our data. The three complexity
indicators are significantly correlated between themselves, yet each
captures another aspect of the complexity. THCI adds the trilateral
interaction terms among the three bilateral interactions, and can thus be
expected to capture the extent of systems integration between the global
dynamics of markets (ECI) and technologies (PatCI) in each national system
of innovation. Of the world's major economies, Japan scores highest on all
three indicators, while China has been increasingly successful in combining
economic and technological complexity. Our empirical results raise questions
about the interpretation and empirical fruitfulness of the complexity
approach.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.02348

** aplogies for crosspostings.

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;